Professional Development Activities
- Description (from the Science NetLinks website): Science NetLinks is part of Thinkfinity, a partnership between the Verizon Foundation and 11 premier educational organizations. The Thinkfinity partnership provides free, Internet-based content across academic disciplines. Science NetLinks’ role is to provide a wealth of standards-aligned resources for K-12 science educators, including lesson plans, interactives and reviewed Internet resources.
- Professional development activities (a list of my science education publications is available on the Print and Online Publications page)
–As a member of the Science NetLinks Scientific Advisory Board, I review K-and edit 12 science lesson plans which adhere to National Science Education Standards and AAAS Benchmarks for Science Literacy.
–Content developer and writer of standards-based K-12 lesson plans in the life sciences
Science Books and Films (SB&F)
Note: A list of my SB&F publications is available on the Print and Online Publications page
- Description (from the SB&F website): Published by the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), SB&F is an online global critical review journal devoted exclusively to print and nonprint materials in all of the sciences for all age groups (K-college, teaching and general audience). Since 1965, SB&F has been the authoritative guide to science resources, bringing librarians and other educators expert information they need to make the best decisions when choosing science materials for their libraries, classrooms, or institutions.
- Professional development activity: Critically evaluating and writing reviews for K-12 science books to ensure content accuracy, clarity, and instructional utility.
The American Biology Teacher education journal
- Description: A peer-refereed professional journal for K-16 biology teachers that is published for the National Association of Biology Teachers
- Professional development activity: Manuscript reviewer
Conferences and Workshops
- 2010 National Science Teachers Association (NSTA) Baltimore Area Conference on Science Education, November 11-13, 2010, Baltimore, MD
- NSTA Professional Development Web Seminar Planning Your Summer Professional Learning Experiences, May 12, 2011
- NSTA Professional Development Web Seminar A Framework for K-12 Science Education: Practices, Crosscutting Concepts, and Core Ideas, July 26, 2011